Thursday, November 17, 2011

ST LUCIA WATERCOLOR/GRAPHITE PAINTING

I got out my watercolors and glitter (which you cant see in this scan) the other day and had a little fun with my St. Lucia Christmas sketch.

I had SO much fun painting and letting my inner artist play, it felt so good!

I googled St Lucia and got a little background on her, I thought I'd share it:

St Lucia was a young Christian girl who was martyred, killed for her faith, in 304AD. The most common story told about St Lucia is that she would secretly bring food to the persecuted Christians in Rome, who lived in hiding in the catacombs under the city. She would wear candles on her head so she had both her hands free to carry things. Lucy means 'light' so this is a very appropriate name.

December 13th was also the Winter Solstice, the shortest day of the year, in the old 'Julian' Calendar and a pagan festival of lights in Sweden was turned into St. Lucia's Day.
St. Lucia's Day is now celebrated by a girl dressing in a white dress with a red sash round her waist and a crown of candles on her head. (Normally electric candles are used for safety!) The crown is made of Lingonberry branches which are evergreen and symbolise new life in winter. Schools normally have their own St. Lucias and some town and villages also choose a girl to play St. Lucia in a procession where carols are sung.

5 comments:

Rhonda Miller said...

She looks beautiful. Thanks for sharing the information about her.

Sandra H. said...

She is very, very pretty!!!

Michelle said...

Thank you Rhonda and Sandra, I love the story about her and just love that the tradition is still carried thru to today in Europe. She was so much fun to color!

Sharon said...

Wow Michelle - so beautiful - she looks amazing coloured!!

Unknown said...

This is so beautiful and I love that you shared the story! We went to St. Lucia 2 years ago and loved it.
Sarah